This blog's purpose is to help make more information available to people to make choices that support their health. Plant-based nutrition is shown to have many health benefits, and I hope to provide ways to make it more affordable.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

How I ate Kale 8 Meals in a Row

Mung beans with Kale and a lemon dijon sauce
It occurred to me that I was eating a lot of kale the past couple days and I noticed that I had had kale for 7 meals in a row and decided to go for 8 with my dinner. 

For lunch two days ago I made the Smoky Kale Soup I posted about earlier.  Then I had kale salad with dinner. The next morning for breakfast my partner made chili that included kale (I know, chili for breakfast is a bit odd, but it works).  At lunch I had leftover soup, then dinner was mung beans with kale and lemon dijon sauce (I plan to write a bit about mung beans- it's very fast to cook and goes with anything in my opinion).  Breakfast this morning was a pineapple blueberry kale smoothie, and for lunch: the last of the leftover soup.  I threw in kale with my quinoa w/ beans and tomatoes for dinner.
 
Quinoa and beans with tomatoes and kale
My quinoa bean dish tonight also had lemon juice, salsa, and pumpkin seeds added.

I actually use a bag of "organic kale salad" which includes some shredded carrots and cabbage.  It's $4.99/lb which is a pretty good deal if you use the whole thing, especially because it's pre-cut, but I think it's also cheaper than buying it the regular way, although the weight of a bunch seems to vary, as does the price at times.  I also recently found that I can buy frozen kale at $1.99/lb, although it's not organic and has more stems in it than I prefer.  However, that's what I used in my soup and my smoothie and it worked out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment