This blog's purpose is to help make more information available to people to make choices that support their health. Plant-based nutrition is shown to have many health benefits, and I hope to provide ways to make it more affordable.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

"Cheezy" Broccoli Rice

The only way I used to like broccoli was smothered in cheese whiz, but since then I've found many enjoyable uses for broccoli.  That didn't stop me from making a "cheezy" broccoli dish.


My friend Turbo introduced me to this “vegan cheese” sauce that is much healthier than most cheese alternatives.  His version included lemon juice or vinegar, which I don’t usually include.  Miso and tahini can be pricy, but a container of miso can last quite a while.  You can try to make your own tahini by grinding sesame seeds.  Miso has a high sodium content, so if you're watching your sodium, this may not be something you want to use.  But it has a bit of that umami taste, which is also enjoyable.

Equal parts miso & tahini, plus some water to make it creamy.  I often add garlic powder, lots of nutritional yeast, and turmeric.

So I cooked up some brown rice and parboiled some chopped broccoli.  I mixed the sauce up, and once everything was cooked, I mixed it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment