This blog's purpose is to help make more information available to people to make choices that support their health. Plant-based nutrition is shown to have many health benefits, and I hope to provide ways to make it more affordable.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tabouli-Inspired Sunny Cilantro Millet Salad

I've recently come to love cilantro, but I haven't yet come around to parsley. I know tabouli is a healthy dish, so I came across a cilantro tabouli and thought I'd try it.

The recipe was actually for a cilantro tabouli made with millet, and since I already had some millet that we made for our dog, I was even more encouraged to pick up some cilantro at the local farmer's market.

We had some red bell peppers to use up, and I regret not having any fresh tomatoes, but roasted the red bell peppers and soaked and chopped some sun-dried tomatoes. While the red pepper was roasting, I saw that I also had a zucchini to use up and figured I'd use it raw by grating it. This turned out well because the millet was a little on the dry side, which the moisture of the zucchini made up for.

So I mixed some chopped garlic, a little salt, and some lemon juice (unfortunately not fresh, but it worked anyway), and the grated zucchini into the millet. I chopped the cilantro as the roasted red pepper was resting in a bag and the sun-dried tomatoes were still soaking. Then I cut up the pepper and tomatoes and mixed those into the salad. Finally I added some sun flower seeds and a dash of apple cider vinegar, mixed it thoroughly, and it was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment