This blog's purpose is to help make more information available to people to make choices that support their health. Plant-based nutrition is shown to have many health benefits, and I hope to provide ways to make it more affordable.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Tomato, Red Kale, and Tepary Bean Soup

I'm full now from eating a soup I just made with the tepary beans I cooked up this morning. Tepary beans are native to this region (I'm in the Phoenix area), are smaller and faster-cooking, though perhaps not as enjoyable as the traditional white beans for such a soup. They still have a good flavor though.

Kale was on sale, so I had bought some of that, and there were some extra tomatoes at the house. I used a leftover half of an onion, a couple garlic cloves, and sauteed those without oil for a bit, then I added some water, thyme (from my garden!), and dried tarragon.

I chopped up three tomatoes, threw those in, along with a few cups of beans. I removed the kale stems, and rinsed and chopped the leaves, then added about half of that. I let it all cook for several more minutes. I added a bit of salt to taste at the end. I ate about half of the soup, and that was quite filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment